4.13.2009

For the past several days, I've been watching Edgar and Lenore build a nest outside my bathroom window. It's been fun to watch the two of them work together. Lenore seems to do a lot of supervising, but she also finds and brings in building materials for the project, too. Actually, the nest they've been working on was much more compact and tidy than what you see here. . .
This morning, I heard some very loud, urgent birdsong coming from the building site. My camera was downstairs (darn), but the call was so frantic, I skipped the camera and ran in to see what was up. There was Edgar perched on the side of the hummingbird feeder, his tiny talons grasping the chain, chirping his little heart out--in alarm.  It was immediately clear why. A big fat robin has taken over his and Lenore's nest! I watched helplessly as Edgar tried to scare him away, but it was no use. The robin must be four or five times Edgar's size. I wish there was something I could do.  Hopefully, he and Lenore will still have time to get another nest built before their eggs are ready to lay!
I hate to be judgmental, but old Mr. Robin appears to be a bit of a slob. And a jerk. Why don't you just go and find your own nesting site, mistah!

3 comments:

shelly said...

A slob and a bully!

Gretzbabi said...

How fun! We have teo sweet finches nesting in our pine, take that back our bird condo, since it is loaded with many many birds,this is right out our window in the living room and this year these two sweethearts are building in a branch right there for us to watch. Our male is red headed and sits on a branch that is above watching and supevising while our female carries the stuff in and is hard at work. i noticed yesterday that they were now demonstrating the pure love of bird, so we will watch, she is still building and adjusting but hasn't settled yet. I love birds, I need to get the hummers feeder ready for them, we only have two who come every year, but of how fun they are to watch. I love the ones we watch in the canyons which are probably what you get, so colorful! Ours tend to be plain, but once in a while we catch a bright red on or a red necked one stopping for a nip! I love birds! Our Robins keep the other pine tree to them selves, they stay out of the bird condo, so I am glad for that, I love watching the Robins feed most of the winter on our other trees!

slavin said...

I love reading up on Lenore and Edgar. What a bossy Robin!