10.06.2009

Just when I needed it. I always need it.

From: Annie Link <annielink@mac.com>
Date: October 6, 2009 3:13:21 PM MDT
To: [anonymous]
Cc: Annie Link <annielink@mac.com>
Subject: Thank you

Dear _____,

Yesterday, Sean from Anasazi forwarded me a copy of your Facebook post about Gavin. I cannot tell you how much it meant to me. There aren't words for how much I miss him and just to hear someone even mention his name is like cool water to my thirsty, aching heart. Thank you for taking the time to share your memories. Thank you so much. So much. So much.

As good as he was. That's how much we miss him.

Sincerely,

Annie/
Gavin's Mom
Hi Anasazi,

I'm _____. I walked on the trail in May/June of 2007.

Another June has come and gone...infact by this point most of July has.

I still remember Gavin. He was a fellow Sinagua walker. At the time the guys and girl Sinagua still walked separate, but Gavin rode on the transport with me and Lara and we saw him on the trail when we stopped to camp. Nearing the end we didn't see him anymore. The Wednesday before we left the trail Jamie told us that Gavin had died. And the dinner we all had wasn't completely happy beucase the three of us had planned to all eat together...in fact Gavin promised us becuase we were both having doubts and I was terrified of scorpions. He kept us excited.

For two years I have written letters to Gavin's parents to let them know all I rememeber about him. But I've never been able to send them. They all sounded so stupid. Mostly it was all the things I remembered. He was so glad he could pack his little Bible and he was really nice about mine being different and didn't say anything mean. He had plenty of stories and jokes. He knew all about the rocks and trees and all the funny Arizona stuff that I had no idea about. (I thought I'd been transported to Mars) I remember how much he loved trail food, especially the neon yellow cheese. He was SO excited to get that...as if someone gave him pure gold to eat. He knew so much about Anasazi and the trail. He wanted to make himself better so much.

And he really, really loved his mom. He said hiking to the phone was one of his proudest moments. I was amazed that he'd walk so far just to tell her that. He wasn't content with a letter, and there were times on the trail I wished I could had that bravery. On the trail, after he told the story, I realized the magnitude of what he did...of how far he walked, what he carried and risked. It still blows me away. He was coming back to Anasazi so he could find that passion again.

I still think of him a lot. I haven't forgotten him and hope I never will.

So if you could please forward this to his parents somehow I'd appreciate it.

Sincerely,


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Annie,
What a beautiful letter, I know how much you will cherish it. How great the comfort when someone speaks loving thoughts about our precious loved ones.

Gretchen

Heather said...

Annie,

This is so beautiful. What a true treasure to have! I still think about Gavin daily, and I don't think I'll ever stop.

xo, Heather

lyn. said...

Annie, I thought of you when I read this today... http://thepioneerwoman.com/blog/2009/10/my_prayer_/

Annie Link said...

Thanks for this link Lynn. I always love her take on things (and loved this post) but sometimes I find myself avoiding her site. I have to admit I can come away from her site feeling a little, let's see, what's the best word? Insufficient? Inadequate? Sloth-esque? HOW IN THE WORLD DOES SHE ACCOMPLISH ALL THAT SHE DOES?! She is truly a delight. And she makes me want to pull the covers over my head. There, I said it.