6.28.2009

Am I Really Looking?


Dad and I found this seagull kite in Sedona last fall and bought it for Uncle Bart. The first thing he did after we gave it to him was take it out and attach it to his golf cart.  At first, the little seagull dipped and twisted like a drunken sailor and we laughed and laughed as the neighbors drove past or stood in their driveways and shook their heads.  Later, he went out again and drove up and down the street in front of the house so Gretchen could take a picture of Jonathan to send me.  He really made sure we knew how much he loved this silly gift.  Now that he's gone, I'm cherishing this memory of my brother's good heart.
It's funny, it's often not until after a person is gone, that we come to fully appreciate the little things they did in a way we never quite got around to while they were alive and here with us.  Why do we wait until they die to realize how precious they really were?  What are we waiting for?
Today, I'm wondering what kinds of things I might be forgetting to appreciate in the people I love.  Am I remembering to really look?  Do I have eyes that see?
Thornton Wilder captured it well in Emily's cry as she tried to re-experience the joy of  her twelfth birthday from the other side of the veil, 
 " Oh earth, you're too wonderful for anyone to realize you . . .
 Do human beings ever realize life while they live it?"

6 comments:

lyn. said...

Annie, I admire so much you ability to put your deep, inner thoughts into words we can all internalize!!

Well said...

Unknown said...

Annie,
Bart loved you so much. I was lucky to share in his great humor.
Gretchen

shelly said...

Oh boy....you did it again. Beautiful and wise. Where the heck are some Kleenex??

shelly said...

By the way, I've been admiring one of these very seagulls every time I take Chelsea to work! They've got one tied to a big stick at the "pick your own" strawberry fields in Carlsbad. The first couple of times I passed I thought he was real! Where did you buy Bart's "Jonathan"? Ha! I love that:)

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy reading your blog and I love Our Town or I used to. I haven't read it high school, I think it's time for a re-read.

Annie Link said...

Shelly- We found this one at a novelty store in Sedona. But I really haven't ever seen them for sale anywhere else (have seen them flying, like you have, but not for sale!)

Maybe you could Google: Seagull Kite
I'll keep my eye out for one for you!